Monday, April 09, 2007

Skating And Blisters

07 April 07 (Sat)

Went down to East Coast Park, (Alone. Daniel and Russel pang seh/fly aeroplane/abandon me again.) after my keyboard lessons. Registration started at 3PM. It was a slalom/slide clinic. Slalom is about skating around cones, freestyle. Seen it? Sliding was new to me though, it was about sliding/skidding on rollerblades - daredevil stuff...especially when you need to go pretty fast to slide.

The interesting thing? The group of people attending the class was a group of middle-aged guys, like 40+, with an Aunty amongst them. Hope they aren't reading LOL. And they were sure fit and wild LOL. I saw the oldest amongst them (I think close to 50) hanging upside down on a bar with his legs oO. The other younger people are already part of the inline-culture gang, which I suppose it is a school and they, demo-team. Oh, the clinic was conducted by Naomi Grigg (UK Slalom Champ) and Steven( Cool guy, local).

Anyway here's what slalom looks like:



And this is a power slide (one sliding move):



Anyway. I was totally beat. 3pm to 1030pm? I have NEVER skated that much before. By the end of it my arms were so 'nua' I can't push myself off the ground. They hurt, not ache, even now. Fell a couple of times, most memorably was when the laces on my left got stuck to my right boots. That really threw me off the ground with NO way of recover, except after landing flat on my hips. OUCH.

Oh, I was expecting a blister to form then. Apparently something was rubbing against my feet's arch. It hurts! And now there's a little 10cent sized blister with fluid there..sigh. That spurred me to read up on blisters and hey! Blisters shouldn't be popped cause it's a natural defensive mechanism of the body.

Mine looks something the size of this ;( eww


Wiki- A blister or bulla is a defense mechanism of the human body. When the outer (epidermis) layer of the skin separates from the fibre layer (dermis), a pool of lymph and other bodily fluids collect between these layers while the skin re-grows from underneath. Blisters can be caused by chemical or physical injury. An example of chemical injury would be an allergic reaction. Physical injury can be caused by heat, frostbite, or friction.

Well guys, take care! I have to go play my games and rest. (It is not an *oxymoronic statement!) 2 days after the event and still aching all over.

Peace!

No comments: