Sunday, April 29, 2007

Close Brush With DEATH

Today I had a close encounter with death. Only armed with my wrist guards, I went downstairs to blade supposedly leisurely - slowly and safely.

At the first bus-stop at Buangkok Green, I took a left turn and headed down a slope. By the time i went 10metres, I realised that the slope was pretty steep and I was fast gaining speed. I was a little afraid now, as I continued to gain speed at an alarming rate while noticing 3 things. Firstly, the speed that I was going was so fast now, that it felt my heart was about to jump out of my mouth. I could not slow down with T-stops and heel drags, I only went faster and faster and faster. I contemplated a grass-stop, but realised that I was going too fast, and the sudden change in momentum will throw me flying into the air, possibly into the road. Next, at the end of the 400m(I think.) it was a pretty sharp left turn, 10metres of pretty uneven pavement, and then a rectangular S shaped(extremely tight) turn.

I continued to gain so much speed, a tiny gap, unevenness in the ground, even the covered drain platform might just throw me flying if my wheels get jammed in the slightest wrong angle. You could imagine how close i felt to being critically injured, not having worn any guards (I even thoughts the guards would have been insufficient cause I didn't have a helmet), or worse still, death. As I approached the end of the slope I DIDN'T manage to slow down! But I managed to maneuver the left turn, almost lost my balance but didn't. Somehow by the grace of God I managed to slow down enough to tackle the very difficult S (the path was narrow and uneven) and didn't fly into either the longkan or the road. But I was so shaken after that I couldn't stand straight. Gee.

Next, I went around the blocks towards Hougang Point and back towards my home. Having decided prior to leaving my house that I ought to check out the multi-storey carpark at it's top level, I did. (I hope you have a visual impression of the new multi-storey carparks for purpose of explanation) Going up the slopes each level was a chore, because of the very uneven surface made by the 'circle patterns'. When I finally reached the end, I was panting. Real tired. And I could see into my house! It's the same level as the last open air level of the car park. I went close, and realised that the edge was dangerously low, way below my thighs near my knees and I instinctively stepped back (rolled back actually). When I had to return, I contemplated going down the slopes. I knew I just had to try one. I knew also it was rather steep but I thought it was manageable. I guess I was wrong! I underestimated the slope and when I went down I gained speed at an alarming rate. I had to do a sharp turn by the time the slope ended in order to avoid falling 6 storeys down. It could have been a nice parallel slide but sadly I wasn't proficient in that *nor was the speed and angle I was going anywhere near safe*. I'm thankful I got away with just an abrasion on my left elbow and my knee. I could have been flat on the ground..ground zero. Well after that when I saw the slope down to the bottom level, I was like "OH NO WAY!", not only because I just fell, but because the end of that particular slope is a drainage that had it's covers removed*probably stolen and that gap is just waiting to devour me and fling me into the air.

That's my elbow if you actually thought it was my knee. HAHA.
Not that it's anywhere near funny though. Skating downhill is REALLY SCARY.

No comments: